Mark’s clients tend to be high-net-worth professionals and business people with sophisticated investment, estate and financial planning needs. While some clients are at or near retirement, with interests in maximizing quality of life and planning legacies for family and charities, many are successful mid-career families who wish to capitalize on opportunities while accumulating wealth.
Mark moved to Victoria in 2011 from Vancouver, BC. In addition to being an avid reader, Mark takes advantage of Victoria’s outdoor life by boating, golfing, hiking and road cycling. A student of corporate governance for many years, Mark completed the Institute of Corporate Directors’ Director Education Program in 2020 and earned the ICD.D designation that year. Mark is Vice Chair of the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority (GVHA) Board of Directors. The GVHA owns and operates one of Canada’s busiest cruise ship ports, in addition to many marinas and industrial assets along Victoria’s Inner Harbour.
Growing and preserving wealth is done by owning and holding high-quality securities and by receiving interest, dividends and increases in value. Without targets, it is difficult to achieve your goals. Consequently, Mark works closely with Odlum Brown Financial Services Limited* to develop financial plans unique to each client. These plans then inform the right investment strategy; in other words, how much money is needed for retirement, charitable gifts or estate planning purposes and what needs to be done to get there.
- 20 years of financial and business experience
- Successfully founded, built and sold two private operating businesses
- Recipient of the Certified Management Accountants Society of BC’s province-wide 2009 Top Talent Award
- Key member of the founding team of entrepreneurship@UBC
- Vice Chair, Greater Victoria Harbour Authority (Current)
- Director, Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce (Past)
- Founder, J. Donald Mawhinney QC Lectureship in Professional Ethics, Peter A. Allard School of Law, UBC (Past)
- Monthly CFAX 1070 radio guest talking about leadership and entrepreneurship
- Director, Destination Greater Victoria (Past)
- Chair and Co-Dounder, Fairway Gorge Paddling Club (Past)
- Chair, Victoria Dragon Boat Festival Society (Past)
- Co-Chair, UBC Alumni Centre Committee (Past)
- Chair, UBC Alumni Centre Committee (Past)
- Director, UBC Alumni Association (Past)
- ICD.D – Institute of Corporate Directors & Rotman School of Management,
University of Toronto
- Chartered Investment Manager – Canadian Securities Institute
- Certified Management Accountant, Chartered Professional Accountant – CPA Society of BC
- Bachelor of Arts (Economics) – The University of British Columbia
*Odlum Brown Financial Services Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of Odlum Brown Limited offering life insurance products, retirement, estate and financial planning exclusively to Odlum Brown clients.