"Once you start to lose sleep over your investments, you probably need to make some changes. It is important to me that my clients sleep soundly."
C.A. Degree, Edinburgh, Scotland
Tony immigrated to Canada from Scotland in 1960 to join Price Waterhouse Company, Chartered Accountants, in Montreal as an Audit Assistant. After two years in Montreal, he was transferred to Price Waterhouse’s Management Consulting Division in Vancouver. Here, he spent six years working on various consulting assignments in the prairies and BC, including one year at a pulp mill in Prince George and another studying the impact of the mining industry on the economy of British Columbia for the Mining Association of British Columbia.
Tony joined Odlum Brown in January 1969 as Manager of Investment Research. In 1972, he was elected to the firm’s Board of Directors. In November 1978, he was appointed President and Chief Executive Officer. His commitment to maintaining the firm’s independence and preserving the long-standing traditions and values of Odlum Brown’s founders, while adapting to the changes in the industry and the evolving needs of clients, has played an integral role in the growth of the firm. Under his direction the firm grew from 65 employees and four branches to 200 employees and six branches. As President, Tony was the driving force in the development and ongoing success of Odlum Brown. During his Presidency, Odlum Brown was recognized as one of Canada’s 50 Best Managed Private Companies.
Tony held his position as President and CEO for 23 years, until his transition to Chairman of the firm in September 2001 and Chair Emeritus in 2018. Today, he continues to manage a substantial asset base as an Investment Advisor and Portfolio Manager, and remains active on the Board of Directors and the firm's Executive Committee.
In addition to his work at Odlum Brown, Tony has, in the past, served on a number of industry committees and been involved with other organizations including:
- President, Vancouver Society of Financial Analysts
- Chairman, Pacific District Investment Dealers Association of Canada (now known as IIROC)
- Member National Executive, Investment Dealers Association of Canada (now known as IIROC)
- Chairman and Governor, Vancouver Stock Exchange
- Director, Seaboard Life Insurance Company & Chairman of Seaboard Investment Committee
- Director, Pacific Racing Association
- Member, Task Force on Horse Racing in British Columbia
- Director & Treasurer, Vancouver Playhouse
- Investment Advisory Committee, Working Opportunity Fund
- President, The Vancouver Club
Throughout his tenure with Odlum Brown, Tony has always enjoyed working with clients. He has appreciated their loyalty in good and bad markets, and has valued a close relationship with many of them. He expects to maintain a strong commitment to his clients for many years to come.